'Stay, stay at home and rest. Homekeeping hearts are happiest.' ~ Author Unknown.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

~ I'm dreaming of further simplification........~


To Do List for the Summer:

plant grapevines
help hubby build a 'chicken coop/critter structure'
new bark down in the front flower beds
call to have carpets cleaned!!!!
finish up some thrift store make over's and the new bed
can some bing cherries - yummmmmm!!!
finish my red basket quilt top - my annual 'Christmas in July' project
read Volume 5 of 'Prelude to Glory' and the novel 'Wives and Daughters'
finish my curtains for the front of the house bay windows
June 15th - trip to the mountains for my retreat with Lisa Bongean -
(CAN'T WAIT for that one!)
plan my Holiday 2009 'Christmas Tea Amongst the Quilts' Open House
paint the potting shed


SIMPLIFIED To Do List for the Summer:

Do all the above, but do it with JOY!!!!

Sometimes we look at 'to do lists' with agony and dread. I know I do. But this summer, I am glad to be able to 'work around the ol' place' and beautify things. It is my choice. I can do work (and add fun) with an attitude of ugghhh, or I can think of how much will be accomplished and how beautiful it will look.

If you look closely, the clematis above is growing on an old metal wheel. I saw this idea down in Utah at a WONDERFUL shopping hub called 'Gardner Village'. The gardners down there had the most beautiful honeysuckle growing up and all over this metal wheel. I loved it!!! But I didn't have a wheel. But my mother had four!!! I did some bartering, and we came home with this wheel, to which my husband welded an old metal post or axle of some kind. He worked in 90 degree temps one day while I was gone, mixing cement for the hole by hand and all, and wow!!! And he did it all with JOY! One of the biggest lessons he ever taught me. Work with joy - because it does matter.

I can't wait to get started on my 'To Do List'!!!!!

Blessings on Your Work Day!

Shanda

6 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Shanda! I have been reading but sometimes have a hard time leaving messages on my favorite blogs lately - especially those with word verification. But I have been here!

Great TS finds and wonderful Mother's Day post too.

But I really love this post. Isn't it true! Do it with joy!! If it is worth doing , do it right AND with joy. I am going to remember that and work to live by that more. Especially when I am the one making these lists for myself!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Oh I would love to take you around with me. ESPECIALLy to Tessier's - hubba hubba! LOL

Have a great week!

hugs, Linda

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Great post...I'm going to remember this too...great DH too:)
Rondell

Raggedy Angel said...

Hello!
We just moved to "simplify".....when we ger done with all the redos! But it is fun!
Beth

Julie said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I haven't read yours yet, but I will be following it. It looks wonderful. The blinky you asked about can be found at http://onecuteblogblinkies.blogspot.com/
Enjoy!

Debra said...

You know I think If I look at tasks this way they will be much easier. Great Clematis & I love the wheell idea!

Karen said...

I'm reading your archives and can I tell you this post just hit me in the head, lol. I've been feeling overwhelmed with our recent move and all that needs to be done. I know how fortunate I am to have done this whole building project, but feel a bit cranky with the "to do". I didn't realize that I'm missing the JOY factor and on this beautiful morning here on the lake and through your blog I FOUND IT - thank you for the reminder and the nudge. Love your blog, home and all your projects, but most importantly your attitude.

With Joy and Hugs- Karen